Why we should at least sleep 8 hours a night
Sleep deprivation is a serious issue for millions of people around the world.
Effects of it can range from weight gain, to mood swings.
Here are some key reasons as to why you should make sure you get at least 8 hours every night:
- Sleep is restorative for the brain. Our Brain is active 24/7(when we sleep our subconscious mind is still on), but our conscious part of the brain restores itself when we sleep.
- Too little sleep can alter the levels of hormones in your body that regulate satiety and hunger, which can lead to habits of overeating, overweight, and obesity.
- Our Bodies growth hormones are stimulated when our brain is in a deep slow wave sleep(It is said that we recover best between the hours of 10pm - 1am at night)
- A good night's sleep can lower your blood pressure. Research has shown that not enough sleep can affect how your body processes glucose.
- Sleep helps keep your heart healthy. Regular sleep patterns lower your stress levels and also balance out inflammation to your cardiovascular system. This can significantly reduce your chances of a heart condition.