Coffee isn’t the only beverage that can kickstart your morning! Matcha, freshly squeezed juice, or a delicious smoothie can give you plenty of energy-boosting vitamins and minerals.
Smoothies are an excellent way to start your day, especially if your mornings are busy. They’re quick, easy, filling, and nutritious.
Unfortunately, the majority of adults in the U.S aren’t getting enough fruits and vegetables. According to the CDC, just 9% meet the federal recommendation. This means that unless they take a multivitamin, one in ten adults are not getting enough vitamins and minerals! The good news is, according to Amy Myers, M.D., you can quickly get most or all of your recommended fruits and vegetables from a smoothie in the morning.
Receiving these nutrients from a smoothie is extra beneficial due to greater bioavailability. When your ingredients are blended, they are already broken down, making them easier for your body to absorb. This is especially beneficial for those who have trouble absorbing nutrients or have a leaky gut.
When you drink a smoothie in the morning, you will help keep your blood sugar stable throughout the day. The key to a blood-sugar-friendly smoothie is looking for low-sugar ingredients like berries and full-fat milk like coconut milk. You can also substitute banana for avocado to give your smoothie a creamy texture.
Smoothies are super easy to make, but you will need to have a few things on hand to create one. First, get a blender. There is a wide variety of blenders on the market that range in features and price. If you are only using the blender to make smoothies, you won’t need a lot of bells and whistles. In addition to your blender you will need a variety of smoothie ingredients. Though fresh is excellent, frozen fruits and vegetables are easier and also pack a lot of nutritional punch. You can get a variety of frozen smoothie blends or buy fresh and put them in a freezer bag chopped up.
For your smoothie, you will also need a liquid. It can be your milk of choice, yogurt, water, or juice. If you want to use juice, look for a natural juice with no sugars added. Smoothies are easily customizable based on your dietary needs. For example, if you are vegan or lactose-intolerant, use coconut yogurt instead of regular yogurt or use coconut milk instead of 2% milk. Here are a few others tips to make you a smoothie pro:
- Read your blender instructions. Some blenders are so powerful that you won’t need to peel the skin of fruits and veggies before blending.
- If your smoothie is too thick, gradually add water or liquid of choice.
- Afraid the noise will wake up your roommates? Make your smoothie the night before and put it in the refrigerator to enjoy in the morning.
- Add protein powder for a more filling smoothie and increase your protein intake.
- Add nutritional boosters as you like!
If you are looking for some smoothie inspiration, check out the recipes below. All of these recipes specify a liquid but feel free to substitute the liquid to suit your preference. You can also use fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables and add nutrition boosters as you like.
Green Smoothie (serves 2)
Get your daily dose of greens with this superfood smoothie! By adding an extra sweet fruit like mango it will taste more fruity and not like blended salad.
1 cup mango chunks
1 cup strawberries
2 cups coconut yogurt
4 cups of baby spinach
1 frozen banana
1 tsp spirulina powder
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp chia seeds
½ cup water
- Add ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth
- Add a slice of pineapple as a garnish
Mint-Watermelon Refresher (serves 4)
This smoothie recipe is perfect for hot summer mornings. It is incredibly hydrating, refreshing, and delicious! It is also vegan and has no sugar added. The flavor combination is fantastic and will likely become one of your favorite smoothie recipes!
5 cups seedless watermelon, cubed (buy frozen to save time)
3 medium-sized peeled and chopped cucumbers
1/2 cup fresh mint (plus some for garnish)
1/3 cup lime juice
1 cup ice
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth
- Divide into 4 glasses and garnish with mint leaves
Berrylicious Smoothie Bowl (serves 2)
Mix things up and enjoy your smoothie with a spoon. Smoothie bowls are incredibly aesthetic and delicious! This breakfast is so good that it will motivate you to get up earlier after a great night's rest on your buckwheat pillow!
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup frozen raspberries
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 ½ frozen banana
½ cup plain Greek yogurt
1 tsp honey
Slices of banana
- Like other smoothies, put all your ingredients in a blender and blend. Keep in mind the consistency of this will be thicker than a smoothie you’d drink from a straw. Once blended, separate into bowls.
- Finish with your choice of toppings!
Carrot Cake Smoothie (serves 3)
For a smoothie that tastes like dessert, you need to try this Fool Proof Living recipe. Unlike the majority of smoothie recipes, this one doesn’t contain bananas. Instead, it has natural sweeteners and many carrot cake ingredients for a delicious morning treat! Although this recipe has a long list of ingredients and more steps than the others in this blog post, it is well worth the effort!
½ cup boiling water
¼ cup unsweetened raisins
(optional) 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
1½ cups unsweetened coconut milk
1 ½ cups carrot, peeled and cut into small chunks
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of nutmeg
1 cup of ice
1 tbsp pecans, chopped
1 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
- Place raisins in a small cup and pour the boiling water on top. Allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes so the raisins will plump up. Drain and set aside.
- Place the remaining ingredients into a blender and blend. Once blended, add raisins and blend until smooth.
- Garnish with pecans and coconut flakes
Peanut Butter and Banana Oatmeal Smoothie (serves 2)
The addition of oats (and fiber) make this smoothie extra filling to help get you through your busy mornings! You’ll also enjoy the delicious combo of peanut butter and banana! This is a great recipe for kids as well!
1 cup oat milk
¾ cup rolled oats
1 large banana, frozen
2 tbsp peanut butter
1 tsp honey
Chia seeds and sliced banana for garnish
- Before making your smoothie, you will need to prep your oats. Soak them in water for 2 hours and then drain.
- Place all ingredients, including your soaked oaks, into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Garnish with slices of banana and chia seeds.
Tropi-Kale Smoothie (serves 2)
Kale is considered a superfood, full of minerals and nutrients! If you don’t like eating it on its own, you can add it to a smoothie! This smoothie recipe contains plenty of kale but with a tropical flavor! If you prefer this as a smoothie bowl, reduce the water to ½ cup and add as needed.
3 cups kale, chopped
¼ cup mango, chopped
¼ cup pineapple chunks
½ ripe banana
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp oats
11/2 cups water
- Put all your ingredients into your blender and blend until smooth.
- Add water until you reach your desired consistency. If you want it thicker, add more banana.
Peach-Mango Slushie Smoothie (serves 2)
This dairy-free smoothie is great in the morning or as dessert! It is light and full of flavor. Also, because it is so fruit-forward, kids are sure to love it.
1 ½ cup no-sugar-added peach nectar (or juice you own peaches)
2 cups mango, cubed and peeled
1 cup peach, chunk
2 cups ice
- As always, you are going to add your ingredients and blend
- Add to a fancy glass and garnish with an umbrella
Veggie-Lovers Smoothie (serves 2)
Get a full serving of vegetables with this smoothie! This recipe is like V8 but fresher, and you can customize which vegetables go into your smoothie. You can buy the juices pre-made for ease and convenience, but if you have a juicer at home, you can make them yourself. Feel free to substitute or add as you like.
1 1/2 cup tomato juice
1/3 cup celery juice
1/3 cup carrot juice
1 medium cucumber, peeled
½ cup romaine lettuce
½ cup spinach
- Add to your blender and blend until smooth
- Add a stalk of celery as a garnish
Imagine waking up on your buckwheat pillow to the sounds of birds chirping. You walk to your kitchen, make a delicious smoothie and drink it in the sun! If this sounds like the perfect way to start your day, you need to try one of these delicious smoothie recipes!